Orpha Packwood is my 3x great-grandmother. She is the mother of Mary Margaret Hawkins and the wife of James Lewis Hawkins. I haven’t spent much time looking into her family as I know that this is a pretty well-documented family line. I have to confess to being guilty of copying information on her family line from other trees. I do try to make sure some kind of documentation is present to back the information up but sometimes things slip through.
What do I know:
- Orpha Packwood was born in Virginia about 1808 (1850 and 1860 census).
- She married James Lewis Hawkins 13 May 1838 in Monroe Co. MO (Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002).
- I have placed her in the 1850 and 1860 census.
What Do I need:
- Exact birthdate
- Death date
- Is there a more official marriage record with more information that I can obtain from the county?
- Earlier census records
- Proof that ties her to her parents, Elisha Packwood and Mary “Polly” Burnett.
- How she came to be in Missouri from Virginia.
- There is an Orpha Packwood listed in the 1870 census for Franklin, Dent, Missouri. Is she my Orpha Packwood and if so why didn’t she move with her daughter to Barry Co. since she was living with her in 1860 in Bates Co?
Okay then. Now I have my first research plan with a set of questions to be answered so it’s time to go ancestor hunting!